Re: [Axiom-developer] this is open source

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] this is open source
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:43:12 -0800

root address@hidden wrote:
> when people have suggested new platforms like windows or sbcl,
> new guis, new algebra, or whatever a new branch is created. i
> expect that (a) people will commit to those branches and (b)
> people will develop their idea to the level that it "just works"
> and (c) people will document their work so it can be understood
> and changed by others and (d) people will bring their branch up
> to the latest level so other people can test it. this is what
> you expect on the main branch.

Remember that effort is an exponentially falling distribution.  Just a
guess, but each line below will at least halve the number of people that
make it to that step.  Open source occurs on the tail.

# website viewers
# downloaders
# that get axiom running
# that try to compute something "real"
# that try to modify something
# that attempt to submit patches/create arch branch
# that develop patch to usability
# that document their patch
# that take the effort to get the patch integrated.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it
    would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that
    apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit
    equal time in physics classrooms." -- Stephen Jay Gould (1941 - 2002)