RE: [Axiom-developer] this is open source

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] this is open source
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 06:11:27 -0800 (PST)

Heh - maddeningly enough, it seems to be the rule that the most
interesting languages have the least support.  Lisp had the misfortune
to be just sufficiently unpopular in the early to mid ninties that it
never got the plethera of graphics libraries that other languages got,
and that had proved difficult to remedy.  Doing basic interfacing to
library graphics is doable, but doing a "universal" solution is very
hard.  And nowadays a universal soultion isn't enough - has to look
good and include a lot of functionality.

McCLIM is basically the last best hope for Lisp GUI programming to take
off in a major way (TRUE lisp graphics programming, where the interface
logic is defined in lisp without being closely tied to any single
non-lisp toolkit).  I'd like to help push that forward but it's not a
simple task and I need both more knowledge and time.  Being an eternal
optimist about such things I'm hoping it will eventually come to pass
:-).

But this is exciting for two reasons - the Windows graphics yes, but
SBCL was never designed to run on Windows at all and the port is highly
non-trivial.  So its having progressed that far is quite exciting.
That was the "wow" part ;-).

Cheers,
Cliff