RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor and Lisp

From: Weiss, Juergen
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor and Lisp
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:07:53 +0200

Most lisp compilers are written in lisp:
the famous Maclisp compiler, for example
and the CMU Common Lisp Compiler Python.

In my opinion, a drawback of the current
implementation of AXIOM in BOOT/LISP is,
that BOOT/LISP does not easily allow the use of
typed variables (defstruct). In more modern
lisp programming lists are out, defstruct
is in (if we forget OO altogether) ;-). So
the implementation technique of the AXIOM
interpreter/compiler lacks a feature (typed data),
for which AXIOM is famous as a computer algebra
system. This is rather unfortunate.

So you could extend BOOT with defstruct,
drop BOOT and convert everything to lisp,
define the data with defstruct in lisp
and use the accessor functions from BOOT.

Regards

Juergen Weiss

Juergen Weiss     | Universitaet Mainz, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,
address@hidden| 55099 Mainz, Tel: +49(6131)39-26361, FAX:
+49(6131)39-26407