RE: [Axiom-developer] document, graphics

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] document, graphics
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:22:51 -0400

On Wednesday, June 29, 2005 5:00 AM I wrote:

> Maybe a little later we can play with HTML WYSIWYG gui editing
> interfaces such as provided by Mozilla and/or javascript like
> Kupu. I tried Kupu on the MathAction wiki but the embedded
> LaTeX really makes this impossible. With a lot of work in
> might be possible to use Kupu and jsMath together but for now
> basic text-based editing seems like the best place to start.

Kupu,

http://kupu.oscom.org/

works quite well in the Zope environment (sans LaTeX) but is a
fairly big java app. The following javascript on the other hand
makes use of the "rich text" editing features that are already
built-in to Mozilla and reverts to more complex java code if
this is not possible:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex16/richtexteditor/index.htm

that supports WYSIWYG formatting with this Rich Text Editor script.
It allows the user to easily format the entered content, such as make
it bold, change its size, colors etc. The resulting source code is
then submitted as regular text for further processing by your form
script.

This script works in IE5+/Mozilla 1.3+/Mozilla Firebird/Firefox
0.6.1+/Netscape 7.1+. In Mozilla, it relies on the Mozilla Rich
Text Editing API. Browsers that aren't supported should see just
a regular form textarea."

---------

The output of the textarea is just XHTML code. Click the little
checkbox at the bottom of the edit area to see the raw code and
edit it if you want. For example this could be easily plugged
into the TiddlyWiki.

After seeing what you and Kai have been able to do with a little
(and then a little more :) javascript, I am starting to be quite
turned-on by what is possible with very short and simple javascripts.
There are several other interesting javascript/DHTML gadgets at
this site:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/