Re: [Axiom-developer] opinion

From: Frederic Lehobey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] opinion
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 19:09:42 +0200

Dear all,

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 07:31:20PM +0200, Francois Maltey wrote:

> > look for the number of downloads of axiom-windows-0.1.4 at
> > line 19. Now look for downloads of the Linux versions :(
> > unfortunately none are listed in this "top 30" list ):
>
> I don't dowload axiom, I choose axiom because I can install it from my
> favorite debian testing.

And according to this link:

  http://popcon.debian.org/main/by_inst

you are not alone as at the time of reading there were at least 66
people who declared to Debian (through popularity-contest package)
having installed it (it is _not_ the number of download of the Debian
packages).  Never forget there are lies, damn lies and statistics.  Do
not misinterpret this: I do not mind the Windows porting efforts and
even appreciate them, but if the Windows figures are more relevant as
the axiom-developers site is almost the only source for axiom
download, nothing such may be said for the GNU/Linux (or Bsd) versions
that have alternative distribution schemes.  Only compare things that
are comparable.  The only figure that matters is the number of
involved developpers: if many people have the goal and skills to
improve the Windows port, then the power is to them, that is the way
free software works.

Best regards,
Frederic

By the way, an (other) example of people who charge the Windows build
(and only it, the source being GPL) is the gcompris software:
http://gcompris.free.fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=19
http://gcompris.free.fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=21