[Axiom-developer] RE: Running Axiom in Texmacs for Windows (was: [Texmac

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Running Axiom in Texmacs for Windows (was: [Texmacs-dev] Plug ins)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:08:11 -0500

Dan,

> This is to remove the user having to add the path manually
> (as most windows users do not want to do).

Agreed. Most applications are installed into a standard location
and many even make entries in the Windows registry. But all of
that is quite foriegn to unix developers (although some unix/linux
distributions are becoming more standardized, e.g. debian).

> So, I can add the search binary to wintexmacs list, then
> it will pick up the path automatically.  If you don't think this
> is necessary, then I won't add it.

The question is: what to look for. Should it look for the actual
program itself (e.g. AXIOMsys as the Linux version currently does,
even though it can not use it directly)? Or should it look for
the interface program? Up until recently the interface programs
were considered by the TeXmacs developers as part of the TeXmacs
system and not part of the external system. But if some external
systems begin to develop their own TeXmacs-specific interfaces,
(such as the Axiom developers and now comtemplating) then it would
make more sense for TeXmacs to look for the interface program.