Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom 11/15/2004 on Solaris 9 Sparc

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom 11/15/2004 on Solaris 9 Sparc
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 02:05:14 -0500

Kostas,

re: gcl-2.6.5 out of CVS

>I've done some more work on building Axiom, and I now understand the whole
>structure a little better.
>
>However, I cannot get past the problem of lisp dumping core, that I reported
>in my initial mail.  Just to remind you,
>
>make[3]: Entering directory `/home/build/axiom/src/boot'
>44 invoking make in /home/build/axiom/src/boot with parms:
>SYS= sol9gcc
>LSP= /home/build/axiom/lsp
>PART= cprogs
>SPAD= /home/build/axiom/mnt/sol9gcc
>SRC= /home/build/axiom/src
>INT= /home/build/axiom/int
>OBJ= /home/build/axiom/obj
>MNT= /home/build/axiom/mnt
>Illegal Instruction - core dumped
>make[3]: *** [/home/build/axiom/obj/sol9gcc/bin/bootsys] Error 132
>make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/build/axiom/src/boot'
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>bash-2.05$
>
>Now I've tried using both 2.6.5 and 2.6.3, and the same problem occurred.
>Since I sometimes suspect gcc, I also tried lowering the optimization in the
>top-level
>Makefile.pamphlet from -O3 to -O2.  That didn't help either.  However, I
>noticed that
>the o/ directory still gets built with -O3.  That could be a problem. I can't
>think of
>an easy fix right now.
>
>I don't know much about lisp, so at this point I'd like to ask your advice
>about how
>to proceed.
>
>For example,. I read on the GCL website that there some known problems with
>gcc on Solaris:
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>NEW! (20040823) An errata page to 2.6.5 on Sun Solaris has been added here .
>This fixes a problem
>which may arise in the loader with certain gcc/ld combinations when C
>optimization is in force.
>Is it worth getting GCL 2.6.5 out of cvs?  Or would it be better to try an
>older version, like 2.6.1?

                                                Kostas

Camm has suggested some fixes but I've been unable to build Axiom
on the GCL-2.6.5 distributed with Axiom + the new patches.

Later today (it's early sunday morn at the moment) I'll get the latest
CVS version and try to build Axiom on that version. If that works I'll
upload it and you can try the build on it.

Tim