[Axiom-developer] Foreseeing future build problems....

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Foreseeing future build problems....
Date: 14 Jul 2004 22:32:04 -0400

Greetings!  Just a quick note on an observation I've made in putting
together the latest Debian package.  As you may recall, we are
skipping the database rebuilding step on ia64, alpha, hppa, mips and
mipsel, as we cannot natively relocate objects on these machines yet,
and they therefore use dlopen, which takes up too many file handles in
this step.  Even were this surmounted, another difficulty would arise
-- all the algebra files are compiled with the filename "code.lsp"
before renaming the .o file as appropriate.  This names the lisp
initialization function in each object "init_code", causing a linker
conflict, and results in a failure to find the sought init functions
determined by filename at load time, e.g. init_AHYB, etc.

We do intend to  get native relocation on these machines, but it will
likely take considerable time.  Might it be quicker to rename the
code.lsp before compiling?

Take care,