RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SPAM] Re: MONET Axiom front end

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SPAM] Re: MONET Axiom front end
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 05:55:16 -0400

Tim,

Here are some more example pages

  http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/Plone/Members/billpage

  http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/Plone/Members/billpage/AxiomCommands

I have made a few more improvements to the AXIOM web interface.
I think it will now handle all the usual forms of AXIOM input
including multi-line function definitions with standard
indentation for blocks, system commands like )show Integer,
and graceful output in case of syntax errors, etc.

I have also changed the display so that AXIOM commands appear
highlighted and equation numbers appear on the right hand side.
As is the convention in LatexWiki,

  http://mcelrath.org/Notes/StructuredTextRules

the equation numbers are assigned hyperlink names of the form
'eq99' (where 99 is the equation number) that can be referenced
from within the page simply as (99) or from elsewhere by a url
ending in #eq99. For example

http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/Plone/Members/billpage/AxiomCommands#eq
4

I would very much like to get some feedback from other Axiom
developers about how this works. If you haven't done so already,
please take a minute to register for access to the Axiom portal

  http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/Plone/join_form

Logging on to this site will allow you to edit the pages and
re-run Axiom online. You can also create your own wiki web pages
that include Axiom output and LaTeX mathematics. You can also
subscribe to the Axiom Wiki so that the contents of new pages
and comments on the pages will be sent to you by email.

Yes as you suggest Tim, the same technique could easily be
used with other CAS programs - especially those that can
produce LaTeX output. The interface to Axiom consists of
a Python module of about 100 lines of code that prepares an
input file for Axiom and parses the output. It depends on
Bob McElrath's LatexWiki extension of Zwiki which runs
under Zope and Plone.

  http://mcelrath.org/Notes/LatexWiki

The next major step would be to include the Axiom graphics
output on the web page. Once you have the basic Axiom graphics
functionality up and running and producing postscript format
output, I think adding the web interface should be a fairly
easy job.