Re: [Axiom-developer] Small TeX output patch

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Small TeX output patch
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:17:16 -0400

> For the moment, I think the patch above should be applied, but a
> long-term project would be to rethink how TeX output is produced to
> deal with situations like this in a more principled way.

I'll apply the patch you sent.

> Also, another project would be to remove the "latex" command, which
> seems to be an abortive attempt at another method of producing LaTeX
> output.  It's not used much, and should be incorporated into one of the
> other mechanisms, and even things as simple as "latex (x+y)" produce
> "Unimplemented".

Perhaps we should write up how tex and latex work so we understand
the machinery better first. I have looked at it, Bill has looked at
it, and you have looked at it. Some boot code knows about tex as
well as some of the algebra code. Even some of the lisp code gets
involved (the ELT bug in strings). I agree we need to rethink this
but rather than add another version perhaps we should do deep
surgery and redesgn it.

> (I'm not sure what the etiquette is.  Should I just go ahead and file
> the bugs myself, and will anybody notice if I do?  Is there a way for me
> to subscribe to the BTS?  I count three bugs here:

David Mentre is the "bug czar". We can do it any way he wants.
David?

Tim