Re: [avrdude-dev] suggest a "programmer"?

From: David Sainty
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] suggest a "programmer"?
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:03:14 +0700

On 25 February 2016 at 11:55, Nicholas Flowers <address@hidden> wrote:

> One thing I'm puzzled by is why the Arduino guys didn't do it this way (or
> analogously) to begin with.  If you have an onboard chip that can
> reset/program, why mess around with bootloaders and timeouts?

There were previous Arduino models that didn't have that option.  Boards
with just real serial ports, and also boards with just FTDI USB-to-serial
chips.

They've taken the backwards compatibility option for their later hardware,
probably sensible.  I suspect most arduino users will prefer the familiar,
compatible platform rather than a second programming mechanism to
understand.