Re: [avrdude-dev] suggest a "programmer"?

From: Nicholas Flowers
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] suggest a "programmer"?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 17:47:47 -0500

> > ACM: requires 3 endpoints (2 data, and interrupt for line status).
> > Actually, as far as I understand the spec, the interrupt is supposed to
> be
> > optional, but the linux driver at least demands it.
>
> All drivers I have seen require the interrupt endpoint, even though
> it's pointless (pun intended :).

Ha!  I just tried setting the ACM notification descriptor endpoint to
something I can't address anyway... seems to work just fine.  (I don't know
how the AVR reacts when it is pinged for data on an endpoint it can't even
reach... NAK?  STALL?  Let it timeout?)  The cdc-acm driver looks like it
does nothing with the notifications other than increment some counters you
can query via ioctl.

So I guess it is possible to do ACM+Atmel if one is content with never
knowing whether you experienced an overrun.

Regards,
Nick.