[avrdude-dev] [bug #41561] AVRDUDE 6.0.1/USBasp doesn't write first byte

From: Randy Perkins
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #41561] AVRDUDE 6.0.1/USBasp doesn't write first bytes of flash page
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 20:21:38 +0000

Follow-up Comment #12, bug #41561 (project avrdude):

yes the firmware is an important variable.  I am setting up a test bed so that
any further tests only use the latest (2011) firmware from fischl . I did
verify this error using the fisch latest firmware when this issue surfaced

I would like to comment on what firmware is out there.

1. Most Chinese manufactured usbasp use a closed source firmware.  I believe
the vast majority of usbasp in use are using a closed source firmware.
Ebay/Hobbyking/Amazon etc.  There is no way to accommodate this firmware.
Most of the time it is locked on the usbasp
2. Then there is the latest firmware from http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/  (the
2011 firmware )
3. The open source RC enthusiasts are particular to a modified version of the
2009 firmware which solved some issues with the 2011 firmware generating
resets which restricted multiple programming sequences without unplugging and
replugging the usbasp into the computer.  this modified firmware also mentions
'always emitting an extended address' but I believe the 2011 fisch firmware
does that.  This is the firmware that I put on my devices.  Basically I
purchase chinese usbasp and reprogram them with open source firmware
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=1363

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?41561>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/