Re: [avrdude-dev] Loaddrv in windows subdir linking with libusb

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Loaddrv in windows subdir linking with libusb
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:36:22 +0200

As Eric Weddington wrote:

> My problem is that the loaddrv executable in the /windows subdir is
> attempting to link with libusb, which it shouldn't be.

Well, it shouldn't really hurt though (and didn't when I've been
trying to build it on Win32 back when implementing USB support).
As loaddrv doesn't reference anything out of libusb, the linker is
supposed to effectively ignore that file then.

> I need to know how this is getting configured to do this and how to
> disable this. I can't get avrdude to build right now because of
> this.

The issue is that AC_CHECK_LIB, when successful, by default simply
adds the respective -l statement to the global variable LIBS which is
then used for all link jobs within the project.

I've specified an explicit action to take in AC_CHECK_LIB now, and
implemented a new variable LIBUSB that gets only substituted into
avrdude_LDADD, so the other link jobs will not be affected.  I
verified this works on Unix, i. e. I'm still linking against -lusb
when the check for libusb has been positive, so I assume this will
also fix your situation.

I take this you are now busy preparing a new WinAVR release, are you?
I think the current feature set of AVRDUDE would make it worthwhile to
get out a new release anytime soon.  We've got a number of bugfixes,
signature verification, ATmega256x support, and last not least
high-voltage programming support for the STK500.  I wish I knew a bit
more about XSL to allow for extracting the high-voltage parameters out
of the XML files for the remaining supported AVRs within half an hour
or so...

Anyway, we should now start catching up with all the bugreports and
patches that have been sent in lately, and then aim for a new release.
Do you think you could contribute to that part, Eric?

Brian, are you around, and willing to roll the release by its time?
Or do you want me to do that?