Re: [avrdude-dev] Atmel's XML part description files

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Atmel's XML part description files
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:50:15 -0700

Brian Dean wrote:

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:05:42PM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

Just assume for a moment they'd completely withdraw their XML files
some day, or restructure them completely -- we'd be lost then.

That was my feeling and concern also.

As for automatically processing them and extracting the needed
parameters, I think we need to be careful.  All the information from
in the avrdude.conf file is pulled from the data sheets.  We would
need to double check the licensing that the Atmel XML files are
distributed under and be sure to conform and not violate any of the
conditions.
Right. I would think that as long as the data in the XML files that we need, are also available in the data sheet, then that would fall under publically available information. As long as we don't import the whole hog, I think we'll be fine.

Considering that the AVR068 Application Note "STK500 Communications
Protocol" explicitly instructs one to obtain the needed paramter sets
for specific devices from the XML files provided by Atmel, I would
find it hard to imagine that we would not be allowed to pull out the
data we need from them and include it into the avrdude.conf file or
similar.
Agreed.

Eric