Re: [avrdude-dev] Fix warnings patch

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Fix warnings patch
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:19:02 GMT

> > I would certainly recommend reconsidering the usage of -
e.
> > It's definitely more common to erase then program, than
> > programming without erasing. Why require a switch for
> > common usage?
>
> I really don't have any major objection to this.  I only
wonder if the
> decibel level of complaints will be louder if we go the
other way.  We
> may instead have people then complain that: "Why did my
eeprom get
> erased when I programmed my flash?"  That assumes a
programming
> sequence of: erase, program eeprom, program flash.  That
would do the
> wrong thing if an erase cycle defaulted before
programming the flash.

> Of course, we could make avrdude a little smarter by
depricating the
> -f -i/-o and -m options and prefering folks use -U
instead.  Then,
> avrdude can look at all the memory operations specified
and if any one
> of them specify the flash, then do an erase cycle before
starting any
> programming.  This would do the right thing most of the
time, assuming
> folks specified all their memory programming on one
command line and
> not across multiple invocations.

[Sorry about the bad quoted text formatting above.]

My 2 cents would go to "Use -U and deprecate the other
options and do smart erasing" feature. Because, you're
right, that would do the right thing most of the time. If
people did multiple invocations, then it's up to them to
manage their memory correctly.

Eric