Re: [avrdude-dev] autoconf

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] autoconf
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:10:37 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Brian Dean wrote:

:) On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 03:24:31PM -0800, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
:)
:) > Yes, gnumake does support conditionals, but of course, the syntax is
:) > not compatible.
:) >
:) >    if ($(wildcard .depend),.depend)
:) >    include .depend
:) >    endif
:) >
:) > Fun, no?
:)
:) Ugh.  Well - we could (cringe) have a Makefile for Linux, one for
:) FreeBSD, and possibly one for Cygwin.  But if you were looking toward
:) autoconf/automake anyway, maybe that's the answer.  I must admit that
:) I've never looked under the hood of autoconf/make so I don't know
:) what's involved in gettting that working.  Is it overly complex for
:) something as simple as avrdude?
:)
:) If need be, I'll just punt and use gmake on FreeBSD.  Lots of other
:) ports depend on it too so unless someone is installing avrdude on a
:) minimal system, chances are its already there anyway.  My main problem
:) is that I can't seem to train my fingers to type gmake instead of
:) make.
:)
:) But if autoconf/automake will solve other problems, then of course,
:) I'd like to stick with native make on FreeBSD - assuming this is
:) something you are willing to take on.
:)
:) -Brian
:)
:)