Re: [avr-libc-dev] Build of SVN trunk completely broken

From: Jan Waclawek
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Build of SVN trunk completely broken
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:58:54 +0100

> However, the current build is completely broken.  First, changeset
> 2257 break the build for architecture avr31, as it results in an
> attempt to evaluate AVR_RAMPZ_ADDR for device AT43USB320.

The mentioned changeset attempts to fix the problem which causes the binary
library form of Carlos Lamas's functions for accessing >64kW FLASH be broken
ever since included in avr-libc v1.7 (after being some 2 years in standby for
inclusion). See http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?32945 and
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6352 .

While the userbase who wish to use said functions might be a negligible
minority, I think it is still inappropriate to have functions in the library
which are known to fail in runtime. So I would suggest to either find a more
appropriate fix for the problem, or if it is infeasible, to remove the said
functions from the binary build of the library and bundle them in source form,
with appropriate changes ithe documentation.

Jan Waclawek