Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Larger than 64K memory sections

From: Tero Sinervo
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Larger than 64K memory sections
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:21:01 +0300

Parthasaradhi Nayani wrote:
Details of application - I have data packets each 32 bytes in size and we have accommodate 2000 of these (predefined). This I plan to put in a part of the 4MB Flash. Rest of the memory will be used for storing records comprising of these data packets with data and time etc. The records will be deleted from time to time but the data packets will remain. It is possible to use a long int as an address pointer from the start of the available memory (after the data packets) and store records. I still curious to know how one can create a section larger than 64K.

You'll have to customise your linker script and add your section there. I fiddled with this a while ago but sadly have lost the results both in computer and brain memory. After the linker knows what you want to do you'll be a bit farther down the road.

Then you'll have to deal with pointers being reduced to 16 bits. You should see Carlos Lamas's morepgmspace.h. It might give you some help with that.

--
Tero Sinervo