Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Larger than 64K memory sections

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Larger than 64K memory sections
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:43:16 -0500

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 03:10:05PM +0200, David Brown wrote:

> All in all, I can't see any advantage to the OP in using memory
> sections here, and I can see a great many complications if it can be
> made to work at all.

I agree that with the avr-gcc toolset that a great many complications
will occur if one tries to map 4MB into the existing 4MB memory space
used by the linker. For lack of multiple address spaces the AVR tools
magically assume an address space way out in never-never land is EEPROM.
Perhaps the linker can be made 64-bit with minimal effort?

I disagree with the claim that mapping external regions like this in to
linker address space is a bad idea. We know nothing of the user's
application or design for utilizing this space. Is very useful to create
named globals and let the linker assign the address whether or not this
global is in FLASH, RAM, EEPROM, or an external device. Otherwise one
must manually manage allocation.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden