Re: [avr-gcc-list] Remove .bss size from RAM segment of AVR ELF?

From: Tero Sinervo
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Remove .bss size from RAM segment of AVR ELF?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 14:35:35 +0300

Weddington, Eric wrote:
My concern is that right now, all the programming tools that I know of
already know how to deal with the current ELF file that the toolchain
generates. AVR Studio work and avrdude works. If we go about messing
around with the format of the ELF file, will we suddenly break AVR
Studio and avrdude? And for what advantage? As the saying goes: "If it
ain't broke, don't fix it."

Actually, AVR Studio's programming software is broken. Currently it writes the RAM init segment in its entire length but as the segment only contains enough data for .data it programs whatever there is in the ELF file after that segment to Flash. For me it has always been debug information. This is why I thought to suggest such a change in the first place.

Atmel has been notified and a fix should be in the next Studio, so it doesn't matter whether the change is made to AVR ELF files or not. I think that's more of a philosophical question on the interpretation of AVR ELF format.

--
Tero Sinervo
Elekno Oy