Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc won't compile (xgcc has bad cmdline option "-

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc won't compile (xgcc has bad cmdline option "-march=i586")
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:06:11 -0500

On Sep 11, 2007, at 6:12 PM, Rory Galvin wrote:

I didn't think I was making any reference to the old
gcc.  Doesn't avr-gcc build its own gcc?  If not, what
does the ./configure script message 'checking where to
find the target gcc... just installed' mean?

If I uninstalled gcc 3.4.6 just before building
avr-gcc (4.1.2)...? I've a feeling that's not going to
work.

What I know of cross-compiling gcc dates back to reading the DDJ series of articles on the creation of 386BSD. That back in those days one often had to use whatever C compiler was available to build gcc, then attempted to use that gcc to build itself as the final test. Also so as to have a gcc compiled by gcc.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden