Re: [avr-gcc-list] light up and led

From: Patrick Blanchard
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] light up and led
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 08:54:17 -0500

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 17:52 +1000, Timothy Smith wrote:

> ok i understand about interupts. you register an interupt() for the
> specific event and when it happens it "interupts" the ic and runs it.
> the timer stuff is still a little confusing, all the abreviations are
> unintuitive. is there a better source then the avr-libc docs? the
> problems i'm running into, is just getting the correct information. eg.
> i was told on this list that _BV()  is discouraged, yet it's used in all
> the avr-libc docs! many tuts i've read are just plain wrong as well :(
> i've joined up over at avrfreaks.net so hopefully i'll find more answers
> there as well.

I agree. The syntax is confusing, especially if you are coming from pre
C99 tutorials like me. Good luck @ avrfreaks.net, but if you're like me,
you won't find once good doc to explain it all. I picked up Jamsa's C/C+
+/C# Programmer's Bible http://tinyurl.com/74l4a a few months ago on a
clearance rack for my library thinking it would be useful somehow -
published in 2002! pthhhhaw. Read a few chapters this morning. Nothing
in it about C99 except a short program to verify if your compiler is
ANSI C! An earlier thread exposed my woes on the C99 confusion, and the
Microsofties brain bloat on C++ programming. Even pstang's AVRlib is
out-of-date and clings to pre C99 syntax. IMHO, holding to the past
routines only prevents progress on the matter, wasting time to sort out
old syntax when all the while you could have already written a better
routine w/ C99.

Frankly, I've got an itch to write a few pages on tooling up with linux
for AVR development, emphasizing C99 and Debian testing/electronics in
the examples.

But I don't know if I have guts or brains enough to do it.