Re: OSXAVR? :) RE: [avr-gcc-list] Future of WINAVR

From: Neil Johnson
Subject: Re: OSXAVR? :) RE: [avr-gcc-list] Future of WINAVR
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:23:03 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Well, GCC for AVR almost compiles out of the box for OSX, which is UNIX
underneath.  From what I remember of WinAVR (its been a while since I last
used it), a lot of the additional stuff was supporting GCC in a Windows
environment (make, shell scripts, etc), which you already get for free in
OSX.

Of course, the other main advantage of WinAVR is the install-and-go
package which Eric has wonderfully put together.

Personally, I prefer to compile my own tools so that I can place them in
my own user directories, and not polute the main system directories with
files not directly related to the operating system of the host.  This is
generally done with something like:

./configure --prefix=/Users/neiljohnson/Applications/usr  ... etc ...

Cheers,
Neil

--
Neil Johnson :: Computer Laboratory :: University of Cambridge ::
http://www.njohnson.co.uk          http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~nej22