[avr-gcc-list] Can't debug bootloader in avrstudio (Vasil Atanasov) co

From: John Volpe
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Can't debug bootloader in avrstudio (Vasil Atanasov) continue
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:28:38 -0500

The bootloader code must be a complete compilation unit.  It can NOT share the
C startup code with the application code unless it (startup code) also resides
in the bootloader section.  Even then, the library code will be a problem if a
library function is linked into the application area and the bootloader calls
it.  I've only been able to solve this by building the bootloader as a separate
application and relocating the text section to the bootloader area.  Then it
can be debugged with AVRStudio or Insight.

Note : Insight can debug bootloader code attached to the application, but the
issues involving the library and startup code still exists.  To insure that the
bootloader is clean, I always implement the bootloader as a separate
application.

John Volpe