Re: [avr-gcc-list] probelms with new avr-gcc from avr-freaks

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] probelms with new avr-gcc from avr-freaks
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:53:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> > os_cpu_a.s:181: Error: number must be less than 64

Replace SPL with _SFR_IO_ADDR(SPL) and so on with any other I/O register
names in asm sources.  I tried to maintain compatibility with existing C
sources, but asm sources need changes.

If you want the same asm source to build with older tools, just add this
in your asm sources:

#ifndef _SFR_IO_ADDR
#define _SFR_IO_ADDR(x) x
#endif

> > os_cpu_a.s:317: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored character is
> > `('
> > os_cpu_a.s:318: Error: unknown opcode `_vector'

#define _VECTOR(N) __vector_ ## N

Actually it's already defined in <avr/sfr_defs.h> but only for C programs.
Move it above the "#ifndef __ASSEMBLER__" and it should work fine...
(I'll fix it in avr-libc CVS later.)

> I run in the same trouble, all my projects are
> not able to compile! My PC, a P100 needs the complete night to do the
> compilations of binutils, libc and gdb & gcc, and now all
> can be rebuild to older version :-(((((

All I can suggest is to get some old inexpensive P2/Celeron/K6-2 box
(but avoid the old Celerons without the L2 cache; GCC is large, so cache
size can make a big difference in speed) with 64 MiB (or better 128 MiB)
of RAM.  But don't throw away that old P100 - it's still a fine box for
use as a DSL router/firewall, or even a small server, for example...

> Is there any compiler switch, or is this a real bug.

Some bugs and some backwards compatibility issues, as you can see.
It's normal, remember that it's still a development version which is
being broken and fixed all the time ;)

Marek

avr-gcc-list at http://avr1.org