Re: [avr-chat] Funny verification happenings with uisp and avrdude on a

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Funny verification happenings with uisp and avrdude on a ATMega8L
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:37:34 +1000

On 19.08.12 18:11, Stuart Longland (VK4MSL) wrote:
> On 19/08/12 09:13, Stuart Longland (VK4MSL) wrote:
> >> #flash error at address 0x0: file=0x12, mem=0x00
> >> flash error at address 0x1: file=0xc0, mem=0x00
> >> flash error at address 0x2: file=0x2d, mem=0x01
> >> flash error at address 0x3: file=0xc0, mem=0x01
> > Anyone able to shed some light as to why I'd be seeing such an odd bit
> > pattern in the flash?
>
> Okay, I think I've solved my mystery now.  The problem was not the
> programmer, but rather the crappy Prolific PL-2303 based USB serial
> converter I was using between the laptop and the programmer.

The problem may be that the "programmer" is minimal hardware, directly
driven by the software, given that a USB-serial dongle does not work in
real-time. The packetisation makes the link run like an urban bus
system - nothing for an hour, then 3 at once. Your simple programmer
probably requires some software timing, which requires a direct serial
link.

I've used a Prolific PL-2303 based USB serial converter successfully
between linux and a BDI2000, for loading embedded linux to flash. I've
just now used it to talk to an STK500, via avrdude. I don't have an AVR
board to hand this instant, so can't try programming today, but the
STK500 will not rely on any host timing, AIUI.

Admittedly, another similar USB-serial converter would not work with
linux. I've had to select for one that does.

Erik

--
My 4 year old niece offered a helpful suggestion while I was in the middle of
resolving a LAN routing problem: "Turn it off and turn it on, Uncle Jack; that