Re: [avr-chat] Funny verification happenings with uisp and avrdude on a

From: Stuart Longland (VK4MSL)
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Funny verification happenings with uisp and avrdude on a ATMega8L
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:11:26 +1000

On 19/08/12 09:13, Stuart Longland (VK4MSL) wrote:
>> #flash error at address 0x0: file=0x12, mem=0x00
>> flash error at address 0x1: file=0xc0, mem=0x00
>> flash error at address 0x2: file=0x2d, mem=0x01
>> flash error at address 0x3: file=0xc0, mem=0x01
> Anyone able to shed some light as to why I'd be seeing such an odd bit
> pattern in the flash?

Okay, I think I've solved my mystery now.  The problem was not the
programmer, but rather the crappy Prolific PL-2303 based USB serial
converter I was using between the laptop and the programmer.

I tried programming a known working board; a Freetronics LeoStick, and
managed to brick the thing -- the same thing happened as with the
ATMega8L's... avrdude seemed to program it fine, but then failed a
verify and the device just refused to do anything after that.

Dug out the trusty old P4 laptop (with a real serial port; not the
useless serial bus).  Transferred the .hex file over, fired up avrdude,
with the same programmer and it worked first time.

So it seems, even when slowing down the SCK clock, the USB serial
converter was still the cause of my problem.  Apologies for the noise,
hopefully my notes here might be a hint to the next person who gets this
problem.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)      .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.