Re: [avr-chat] Makefile question

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Makefile question
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:03:19 -0600

On Feb 12, 2006, at 9:06 PM, Rick Mann wrote:

Hi guys, sorry if this isn't the right place for this question.

I have a Makefile in a directory. I'd like all my .c files to live in "src" directory under that, and I'd like all intermediate files to go to an "obj" directory next to "src". What's the best way to do that? Should I have a separate Makefile inside the "src" dir? How do I change a Makefile that finds everything at the top level to find it (and put it) in the right places? Just add relative paths to things?

BSD Make will automatically put the object files in obj/ if the directory exists. Apparently GNU Make will not. Usually just moving to obj/ is plenty to cut down on transient files polluting one's working directory rather than to also move the source files into a separate directory.

If you have so many source files that src/ is necessary then it probably would be best to put a Makefile in each src/, and another in src1/ .... etc.

Probably ought to have an include/ directory as well.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden