Re: AC_CHECK_LIB: Library is found on build host but is not on a target

From: Sergio Belkin
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_LIB: Library is found on build host but is not on a target host
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:59:55 -0300

2010/8/23 Eric Blake <address@hidden>:
> On 08/23/2010 02:26 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>>
>> 2010/8/23 Eric Blake<address@hidden>:
>>>
>>> [please keep the list in the loop]
>
> [I reiterate - I do NOT want these mails coming only to me, when I have
> asked for them to go to the list]

Sorry it was not my will send mails to you only :(  Either is a fault
on gmail or (perhaps?) the mailing list... I *always* have clicked on
Reply button... in fact recent now I realize of that, I haven't this
problem on other lists....

>>> At this point, all I can guess is that you haven't installed the
>>> libraries
>>> correctly for your system.  Can you do a simple command line test (rather
>>> than through autoconf) to rule out whether 'gcc ... -lmysqlclient' works
>>> in
>>> isolation for you?  Or maybe you are trying to access a symbol that is
>>> exported in newer versions of the library, but not in the version that
>>> you
>>> have installed?
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> Yes I could run:
>>
>> g++ -o testUpThreadWorkDistributor -ansi -mtune=i686 -march=i686
>> -Iinclude -Wall -Wno-deprecated -g -DDEBUG -ggdb -L/usr/lib/mysql
>> testUpThreadWorkDistributor.cc libUpTools.a -lpthread -lmysqlclient
>> -lcrypto -lssl /usr/lib/libresolv.a
>
> Ah - the difference is the presence of -L/usr/lib/mysql in the working
> command line.  For your configure test to work, you'd also have to provide
> that same -L option to LDFLAGS prior to using AC_CHECK_LIB (or the better
> AC_SEARCH_LIBS).

But I don't understand why... with AC_CHECK_LIB I have no need to use
LDFLAGS on Mandriva or Ubuntu...

Thanks

> --
> Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682