AC_CHECK_LIB: Library is found on build host but is not on a target host

From: Sergio Belkin
Subject: AC_CHECK_LIB: Library is found on build host but is not on a target host
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:56:43 -0300

Hi,

I've autoconfiscated an open source project. I don't using still
automake, only I am using autoconf. So I've created an confugure.ac as
follows:

AC_PREREQ([2.65])
AC_INIT([UpTools],[8.4],address@hidden)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign -Wall -Werror dist-bzip2])
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([UpConf.cc])
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([config.h])
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_PROG_CC
AC_LANG([C++])
AC_PROG_RANLIB

AC_CHECK_LIB([ssl], [main],[SSL=-lssl],echo "Error: Required library
ssl not found. Install openssl development package and try again" &&
exit 1 )

AC_CHECK_LIB([crypto], [main],[CRYPTO=-lcrypto],echo "Error: Required
library crypto not found. Install openssl development package  and try
again" && exit 1)

AC_CHECK_LIB([pq], [main],[PQ=-lpq],echo "Error: Required library pq
not found. Install it and try again" && exit 1)

AC_CHECK_LIB([pthread], [main],[PTHREAD=-lpthread],echo "Error:
Required library pthread not found. Install it and try again" && exit
1)

if test -e /usr/lib64/libresolv.a
                then "echo checking for /usr/lib64/libresolv.a..yes"
                else if test -e /usr/lib/libresolv.a
                        then echo "checking for /usr/lib/libresolv.a..yes"
                        else echo  "It seems libresolv.a is missing.
Install the package that provides it" && exit 1
                        fi
                fi
AC_HEADER_RESOLV
AC_CHECK_HEADERS([arpa/inet.h fcntl.h netdb.h netinet/in.h stdlib.h
string.h strings.h sys/ioctl.h sys/socket.h sys/time.h syslog.h
unistd.h])

AC_HEADER_STDBOOL
AC_C_INLINE
AC_TYPE_SIZE_T

AC_FUNC_MKTIME
AC_CHECK_FUNCS([gethostbyname localtime_r memmove memset regcomp
select socket strcasecmp strerror strncasecmp])

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

EOF

I've build that on Mandriva 2010.1 and it worked fine. It compiles
with no problems. But it's failing to find mysql libraries on a Fedora
9 system even those libraries are installed:

ls  /usr/lib/mysql/
libdbug.a    libmyisammrg.a      libmysqlclient_r.so
libmysqlclient.so         libmystrings.a  mysqlbug
libheap.a    libmysqlclient.a    libmysqlclient_r.so.15
libmysqlclient.so.15      libmysys.a      mysql_config
libmyisam.a  libmysqlclient_r.a  libmysqlclient_r.so.15.0.0
libmysqlclient.so.15.0.0  libvio.a

configure scripts complains:

checking for mysql_get_parameters in -lmysqlclient... no
Error: Required library mysqlclient not found. Install it and try again

Is there somthing wrong with my configure.ac?

You can read the config.log on http://pastebin.com/TMk91Rpi

Thanks in advance!
Sergio Belkin http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com