Re[10]: infrastructure for suggested/required packages, and better error

From: Konstantin Andreev
Subject: Re[10]: infrastructure for suggested/required packages, and better error reporting
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 14:09:08 +0400

On 07/31/10 19:23, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello,

several good suggestions for improving Autoconf were made at GHM. Two of them
are a bit related, so I'm sending them in one message.

1) Autoconf should have macros for delayed error reporting. Example: wget
foo-1.tar.gz, run configure, find out it needs bar. Install bar, only to find
out foo also needs baz, etc.

So, we should have something that allows an error message but also continues
the configure script in search for other possible errors, and summarizes the
suggestions and errors at the end.

Good idea.

Please, consider the following feature:

    * If the optional package was not found, there should be explicit WARNing
in the summary section at the end.

Motivation:

    The lack of an optional package is often left unnoticed in the 'configure'
output. As a consequence, the main package is either functionally restricted, or
built with bundled optional package, or <...>.

    When a lack of optional package seriously degrades the main package, the
user should be properly notified.

Best regards,
--
Konstantin Andreev, software engineer.