Re[9]: The problem with pgk-config

From: Konstantin Andreev
Subject: Re[9]: The problem with pgk-config
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:44:32 +0400

On 08/01/10 12:05, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
[...skip...]
The one fly in the ointment is that a significant selection of libtool users
seem to find life more convenient when they delete all installed .la files,
which would make folding in pkg-config like functionality impossible.  I
confess that I haven't really tried to understand why that is, since I always
leave the .la files in place, and they have never given me any problems
personally.

I guess people do not know what the .la files for. If everything works w/o .la
files, why keep them ?

Assume you are just a system administrator, which builds a fresh version of
software package. You are asking - what all these damned .la's are doing here ?
Google does not give you an easy answer, so you are deciding to experiment -
let's delete .la files. Does dependent software run ? Yes. May dependent
software be built from the sources ? Yes. So you are deciding to drop .la files
forever.

For .la files to be typically kept, the non-intentional, occasional users of
libtool, like sysadmins, should be told, what the .la files are used for, at
which moment and in which situations.

Best regards,
--
Konstantin Andreev, software engineer.