Re: pkg-config wisdom

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: pkg-config wisdom
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:28:54 +1100

William Pursell wrote:
Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
pkg-config is broken because it checks for the existance of libraries,
and not for the features that are required for the program to run.

It does not even check for the existence of libraries.
It checks for the existence of a .pc file and assumes
that the user (or administrator) has supplied the correct
information.

It would be useful to have a note in the autoconf manual about
pkg-config, why it exists, and what problems it has. I've wondered
for years about it, and have used it a bit. I haven't found any
authoritive discussion about it other than random posts if one
gets lucky. I might know a bit more now, but a lot of others
don't. I still don't know why pkg-config exists, except that
it seems to avoid autoconfery, which many don't grok.