Re: Process output of a simple command

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Process output of a simple command
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 05:27:01 -0400

   > Why not print a message if that bug is found instead of depending on
   > the architecture which surley will backfire, since you could be
   > running GNU/Linux or anything on such a machine.

   It would be somewhat difficult to detect the bug, as it is by its
   very nature random. In fact, it is never seen with gcc 4.2.4,
   despite the fact Sun acknowledge it is a bug on Solaris - the upper
   32-bit of a 64-bit register are not set to 0 as they should be. So
   I'd rather warn the user. In any case, if they build it on sun4v,
   it could be put on another sun4v machine, where the bug does
   exist. (Sun will soon have a patch for it).

So the test should do that (which is very easy to check), and if the
bits are not set correctly, report a warning or error.