Re: Testing platform

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: Testing platform
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:33:14 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
It seems to me that you are spending a lot of time trying to automate warnings production when it may be more fruitful to simply document any known limitations and workarounds in your package documentation. Bash can be easily installed after the fact on most OSs. Building on Solaris 2.6 and later is not like going to the moon since they are perfectly usable but lack recent updates like <stdint.h>. I have not found AIX or HP-UX to be much challenge either even though HP-UX has bugs.

If C++ is involved, then the C++ compiler brand and version can be a much bigger factor than the OS which happens to be used.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn

I'm not denying you are right, which is why I'm not going to exit the script, but only issue a warning.

Solaris 10 is supported, in that we test on that. Other versions are not, so it is not unreasonable to issue a warning to say that it's unsupported and and that it may work, but may not.

The compiler is a big issue. At the moment, about 75% of the code in Sage reconises the CC and CXX variables, the other 75% ignore them completely, and use gcc/g++. One bit will use the GNU C compiler for compiling C files, then switches to using the Sun C compoiler for compiling C++ files. Hence the build will fail if the Sun compiler is on the system (it does not even need to be in the path).

There are many obstacles to getting this build with the Sun compiler on Solaris - see:

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7056

I just want to restrict by warning against the use of older Solaris releases.

On HP-UX there are more problems, though many of them are a result that certain bits of code was written with Solaris in mind, but not HP-UX

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7168

Dave