Re: Testing platform

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Testing platform
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:08:02 -0500 (CDT)

It seems to me that you are spending a lot of time trying to automate warnings production when it may be more fruitful to simply document any known limitations and workarounds in your package documentation. Bash can be easily installed after the fact on most OSs. Building on Solaris 2.6 and later is not like going to the moon since they are perfectly usable but lack recent updates like <stdint.h>. I have not found AIX or HP-UX to be much challenge either even though HP-UX has bugs.

If C++ is involved, then the C++ compiler brand and version can be a much bigger factor than the OS which happens to be used.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn