Re: Caching pkgdatadir in configure

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: Caching pkgdatadir in configure
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:36:34 -0400

On Wednesday 14 October 2009 10:46:17 Alberto Luaces wrote:
> Alberto Luaces writes:
> > Mike Frysinger writes:

> >> a lot of people muck around with path vars in configure when they
> >> shouldnt. their code tends to be pretty fragile as they have to check
> >> multiple vars and expand them manually.
> >>
> >> what i do is append the CPPFLAGS in the configure.ac like so:
> >> CPPFLAGS=$CPPFLAGS' -DMY_DATA_PATH="\"$(pkgdatadir)\""'
> >
> > This is a great idea, thank you. I also think that the simpler the
> > configure.ac, the better.
>
> Ooops, I read too fast. I thought that you were recommending me to
> define MY_DATA_PATH in the configure call:
>
> configure CPPFLAGS='-DMY_DATA_PATH="\"$(pkgdatadir)\""'
>
> Luckily it also works, since MY_DATA_PATH is defined twice but the
> compiler chooses the last definition, which belongs to the CPPFLAGS
> value. It's a great thing for the Autotools that the user configuration
> prevails over the developer's :)

if you use the line i mentioned in the configure.ac, then you can change the
default path via the normal --foodir= configure options, or doing:
make clean
make pkgdatadir=/foo

since the pkgdatadir is expanded at the make level, you dont need to re-run
configure.

i'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do, but i guess as long as you
found something that makes you happy it doesnt matter too much
-mike