Re: Caching pkgdatadir in configure

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Re: Caching pkgdatadir in configure
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:46:17 +0200

Alberto Luaces writes:

> Mike Frysinger writes:
>
>> On Wednesday 14 October 2009 07:37:33 Alberto Luaces wrote:
>>> Is it possible to do what I want?
>>>
>>> 1. If pkgdatadir is not specified at configure time, follow the FHS or
>>> GNU guidelines.
>>> 2. If pkgdatadir is specified, store its value in the configure cache.
>>
>> a lot of people muck around with path vars in configure when they shouldnt.
>> their code tends to be pretty fragile as they have to check multiple vars
>> and
>> expand them manually.
>>
>> what i do is append the CPPFLAGS in the configure.ac like so:
>> CPPFLAGS=$CPPFLAGS' -DMY_DATA_PATH="\"$(pkgdatadir)\""'
>
> This is a great idea, thank you. I also think that the simpler the
> configure.ac,
> the better.

Ooops, I read too fast. I thought that you were recommending me to
define MY_DATA_PATH in the configure call:

configure CPPFLAGS='-DMY_DATA_PATH="\"$(pkgdatadir)\""'

Luckily it also works, since MY_DATA_PATH is defined twice but the
compiler chooses the last definition, which belongs to the CPPFLAGS
value. It's a great thing for the Autotools that the user configuration
prevails over the developer's :)

Regards,

Alberto