Is there a macro to write an arbitrary file?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Is there a macro to write an arbitrary file?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:13:29 +0100

We have a makefile in a project, which works well. In the short term at least, we do not want to use autoconf to create a makefile, but instead use our own.

However, it would be nice to have a configure script at the top, which at least supports --help and a few other things like that. But we do not want it to create a makefile in the usual way.

Is it possible to create a configure.ac which sends it makefile to /dev/null, and instead creates one we want.

Currently the first two lines of the makefile are:

all:
        cd spkg && ./install all 2>&1 | tee -a ../install.log

so would we create a configure script that has exactly that in it. A bit like

echo "all:" > makefile
echo "cd spkg && ./install all 2>&1 | tee -a ../install.log" >> makefile
(I'm ignoring the fact some of this would need escaping)

Since a configure script is basically a shell script, I assume one could just append one the end

rm rakefile
echo "all:" > makefile
echo "cd spkg && ./install all 2>&1 | tee -a ../install.log" >> makefile

etc

but if there is a neater way, using autoconf macros, that would be helpful.