Re: Can't repeat build.

From: Dan Smithers
Subject: Re: Can't repeat build.
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:04:02 +0000

>>> I think that it can be overridden in the call to
>>> <path_to configure>/configure BOOSTDIR=<new boost location>
>> I'v just checked and it can't be done this way - presumably this needs
>> to be done before autoreconf is run. I can't find a way to add an
>> argument to autoreconf.
>
> Why add it to autoreconf?  The simplest would be something like
>   : ${BOOSTDIR=/vol/build/boost_1_37_0}
>
> which only sets the variable if it was unset before; but that leaves off
> documentation.  You can use AC_ARG_VAR to make BOOSTDIR precious and add
> some doc snippet to 'configure --help' output.  Or, and this seems to be
> preferred by most other packages, go with some --with-boostdir switch,
> added by AC_ARG_WITH (including --help addition and all; see the manual
> for details).

I have also now found some libraries that I need to use that are built
with the compiler name and version in the file name. Is there a way to
get the result from a shell command into the configure script. What I'm
thinking of is something like:

AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

case  "${CC}" in
      # Intel compiler
      *icc*)
          $BOOST_VER = [${CC} -dumpversion]
          AC_SUBST([BOOST_VER])
         ;;
      *gcc*)
          $BOOST_VER = [`$(CC) -dumpversion`]
          AC_SUBST([BOOST_VER])
          ;;
      *)
          ${BOOST_VER = [Unhandled compiler]}
          AC_SUBST([BOOST_VER])
esac

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile src/Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

The variable BOOST_VER is then pasted into the library name in the
Makefile.ams.

thanks

dan