Can't repeat build.

From: Dan Smithers
Subject: Can't repeat build.
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:19:06 +0000

Hi,

I have a strange problem with my autotools setup.

I have configure.ac in the top directories and Makefile.am in all source
directories and top directories.

I use a sequence

autoreconf --install
cd build
../configure <options>
make

Sometime this works fine. On other occasions I get an error

automake-1.10: no Automake input file found for
`activation_analyser/src/Makefile.in'
automake-1.10: no input file among supplied arguments.

sometime this happens because I have edited a Makefile.am without
clearing out the build directory and repeating the autoreconf step. Is
this the wrong way to use autotools?

Also, I am a bit confused about when to use $(srcdir) and $(top_builddir).

I have several related executables and libraries.
In Makefile.am I use
AM_CPPFLAGS=$(srcdir)/../include

to get the exported header files for the current target

$(srcdir)/../../libname/include to get exported header files for library
name.

bin_PROGRAM=exec
exec_SOURCES=exec.c
exec_LDADD=$(top_builddir)/../libname/src/.libs -lname

to link the library.

Is there a better way of doing this?

thanks

dan