Re: Location of declarations in Linux vs FreeBSD, etc.

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Location of declarations in Linux vs FreeBSD, etc.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:44:23 +0000

> * Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> [2007-03-05 09:17:27 -0600=
> ]:
>
> > I can't imagine why one would want to use a non-standard,=20
> > non-portable, function like daemon().
> >=20
>
> True.  I suppose I can always code one myself a la Stevens UNP Vol 1.

Because different OSes need slightly different tweaks to daemonize and
it can be a *serious* PITA to track them all.  If an OS family provides
me with a way to do this then sometimes I am very happy to take
advantage of this fact and save myself from a large learning curve that
must accomodate different versions of said OS family.