Re: Solving the config.h nightmare ?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Solving the config.h nightmare ?
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:27:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Russ Allbery wrote:

Daniel Reed <address@hidden> writes:

Not if the API has been abstracted adequately. Data types that are used
internally should never *need* to be used as part of the API, and hence
their changing definitions between library build time and dependent
software build time should not affect ABI in any way.

I prefer to use standard C types like uint32_t and bool in my APIs where
appropriate rather than hobble and uglify my API to avoid using standard
types that a small handful of systems don't have.  I'd rather include a
bit of Autoconf-generated magic to fix broken systems and keep the
mainstream code more readable and standard, provided it can be done
safely.  Which it can if you're careful.

Agreed. The other issue is that with an abstracted interface, performance can really suck.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn