Re: Solving the config.h nightmare ?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Solving the config.h nightmare ?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:10:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Russ Allbery wrote:

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
* Olivier Boudeville wrote on Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 11:51:41PM CEST:

it is an interesting solution indeed but I would rather not rely on my
hand-crafted stripped-down config.h maintaining ! I will try the
prefix-adding first.

There's an easy solution to the maintenance problem: in your test suite,
use the stripped-down hand-crafted header only, just as users of your
library would.

Even your stripped-down version should rename the defines, since they may
otherwise conflict with other Autoconf-using software.  (Yes, usually they
will end up with the same values, but not always.)

Renaming the defines would be problematic since my library shares a configuration file with libtool's libldtl and configures once rather than twice. I am not interested in modifying libldtl to use my own naming scheme.

Lucky for me, the header files only require four definitions, one definition is usually disabled, and another maybe could be elminated with a bit of work. Only one of those definitions (WORDS_BIGENDIAN) is from autoconf!

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn