Re: freezing?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: freezing?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 10:13:32 +0200

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 22:13 -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > While I don't mind doing two alpha releases, wouldn't it be more
> > sensible to postpone the alpha release until all those pending changes
> > are applied?
>
> No, sorry, by "pending changes" I meant "all the changes that we've
> made since 2.59".
>
> Our main problem will be to get people to actually try the first alpha.
For people to try it, you'd have to release it - This hasn't happen so
far and we all are facing (exaggeration) the same "ole' stagnating
bugged autoconf-crap", similar as it had been during the autoconf-2.13
days.

Some people (at least me) are eagerly waiting for autoconf (and even
more important to me: automake) to release a new release ...

So instead of continuing to wait, I'd recommend to "just release a
prerelease with all known bugs" and wait for what's going to happen.

If something serious should show up, release a new prerelease ASAP, if
nothing serious happens within a (fairly short) prerelease trial time,
release "that damned thing". If something seriously should show after
the release, fix it and release another release, ASAP.

In a nutshell: I recommend a "release early, release often
release-policy", instead of continuing to wait for "the day of
perfection to happen" :)