Re: Library that needs large file support

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Library that needs large file support
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:09:30 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Guido Draheim wrote:

> > Well, that doesn't work that well if you are writing a C++ POSIX binding
> > and don't want to duplicate those data structures.  But I see you point.
> > Maybe I should make the affected functions artificially templated, this
> > would get things right.
>
> How do win32 c++ headers deal with shapeshifting types?

It seems to me that most WIN32 file APIs (e.g. stdio) are stuck with
32-bit file offset limitations even though NTFS supports huge files.
There are some extended interfaces which support large file offsets.
It is possible to access and use large files with the WIN32 API, but
only by using a limited number of low-level interfaces (typically
underscore prefixed).

Remember that WIN32 started with NT 4.0 (3.0?) and Windows '95 ...

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden