Re: dynamic autotest testsuite options

From: Derek Robert Price
Subject: Re: dynamic autotest testsuite options
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:09:15 -0500

Grzegorz Jakacki wrote:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Derek Robert Price wrote:
I'm trying to convert the CVS test suite to use autotest rather than its
current homeroll and I was hoping to carry over some of the options that
the homeroll accepts into the new testsuite.

Is there some way other than converting them into VAR=XXX type options
to have testsuite accept them?  Something like AT_ARG // to but more
general than AC_ARG_WITH & AC_ARG_ENABLE?

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I found it useful
to configure a testsuite as a subpackage:

 foo/
  +-configure.ac   <-- contains AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS([testsuite])
  +-src/
  +-...
  +-testsuite/
     +-configure.ac  <-- contains AC_ARG_ENABLE for testsuite options
     +-testsuite.at
     +-...

and put the configuration of the testsuite into AC_ARG_WITH/AC_ARG_ENABLE
in testsuite/configure.ac. The testsuite configuration options can be
passed to the top-level configure (as they are passed down) or the
testsuite can be reconfigured (e.g. to run the executable with specific
run-time options) after the executable is compiled.

I was afraid I'd get an answer like that. I was hoping for something closer to run time options. I really don't want to force my users to reconfigure to run the testsuite with different options. Especially as our tests suite is designed so that it can be run outside the source tree.

Would others consider such a feature to be generally useful?

Derek

--
               *8^)

Email: address@hidden

Get CVS support at <http://ximbiot.com>!
--
Nobody reads these anymore.
Nobody reads these anymore.

         - Bart Simpson on chalkboard, _The Simpsons_