iffe. bleh.

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: iffe. bleh.
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:19:08 -0800

I am faced with the pleasure of using an AT&T open source package
named 'cdt' in a cross-compilation environment.  It appears
they have an internal tool called 'iffe' somewhat similar to
autoconf.  This is old news to anyone who followed the Software Carpentry
competition, I suppose; see
http://sc-archive.codesourcery.com/entries/config/SapCat/SapCat.html

Still, it's worth a look.  Although iffe makes me want to vomit,
that's just my normal reaction to any complex new tool that
will be a pain for me to deal with, and they did something
that I've been wanting autoconf to do for some time:
they support the equivalent of AC_TRY_RUN when cross-compiling.
(I suspect it'll be too much of a pain for me to use, though...)

The doc's at http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/man/man1/iffe.html
It's an interesting window onto an alternate universe,
not unlike djb's world...

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel