autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: AC_COMPILE_WARNINGS, VL_PROG_CC_WARNINGS, AX_CFLAGS_WARN_ALL{, _ANSI

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: AC_COMPILE_WARNINGS, VL_PROG_CC_WARNINGS, AX_CFLAGS_WARN_ALL{, _ANSI}
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 18:07:41 +0200

Hi Reuben,

 > I suggest removing AC_COMPILE_WARNINGS and VL_PROG_CC_WARNINGS, and
 > AX_CFLAGS_WARN_ALL_ANSI, leaving just AX_CFLAGS_WARN_ALL.

yes, this is a good idea. I've marked the macros obsolete, as you
suggested.

 > Make a new macro from AX_CFLAGS_WARN_ALL_ANSI called
 > AX_PROG_CC_STDC_C89 (as far as I can see, we're talking about C89,
 > not C99 compliance here) which has exactly the same interface as
 > AC_PROG_CC_STDC_C89, but works with more compilers.

I have access to a bunch of obscure platforms like AIX, HP/UX, and Irix.
If you can propose such a macro, I would be able to test and improve it.

Regarding a similar topic ... what do you guys think about the following
macros:

  AX_CFLAGS_AIX_OPTION
  AX_CFLAGS_HPUX_OPTION
  AX_CFLAGS_IRIX_OPTION
  AX_CFLAGS_SUN_OPTION

To me, it looks like those macros are somewhat redundant and, actually,
sort of against the spirit of Autoconf, which encourages testing for
features rather than platforms.

Take care,
Peter